The Lower Currituck Food Pantry is inviting neighboring churches to join together in support of the food pantry clients and others in the community in need of a hot meal on Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2020.
More from the event organizers in a letter to local churches:
Firstly, we are thankful to God for His provision and blessing upon this event.
We want to apologize that we are not able to contact and include every church in our community this year because we are short on time and have not yet developed contacts with everyone. We hope to remedy this long before next year’s event.
The pandemic has presented challenges for each of us individually, for our churches, and for local organizations. We are doing our best to overcome these challenges safely, responsibly with pre-cautions and with respect for everyone.
Thank you to those who are able to participate and help make this event a success; and also a big thank you to Jarvisburg Church of Christ for hosting this year’s event.
We are hopeful this is the first of what will be an annual community outreach for Lower Currituck Food Pantry clients and all others in our Currituck community needing a hot meal on Thanksgiving Day.
With this being our first outreach, limited time and resources, we are starting small and will not be advertising to the entire Currituck community outside of pantry clientele.
Based on data collected, we are expecting to serve 400 meals. This includes 300 from pantry client sign-ups, the volunteers, a small number of shut-ins whose meals will be delivered, and minimal add-on lists provided by participants. We don’t want anyone to go hungry this Thanksgiving.
Please forward new sign-up information to (614) 517-6545 ASAP.
The following are bullet points to present to your church bodies for which we will need volunteers to participate on Thanksgiving Day. For those not able to volunteer, we are accepting donations to help offset some of the costs and/or desserts (See below).
Do you have volunteers interested in serving on a volunteer team? Please share their name, phone number, times available and team preference. If able, please donate blocks of time in increments of: 1-hour, 1.5-hours, & 2-hours from 8-5 on Thanksgiving Day.
- Set up / Clean up
- Volunteers will setup tables to be used to package and assemble meals, clean dishes, clean up facility, etc.
- Food Prep
- Food prep volunteers will help cook, slice turkey, fill steam tables with cooked food, ensure food items are ready for meal prep and assembly teams to package and assemble.
- Meal Prep
- Meal prep volunteers will fill individual containers with green beans, gravy, cranberry sauce, and a meal container with turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing.
- Meal Packaging
- Meal packagers will package the food containers into meal boxes/bags to be distributed.
- Meal Runners
- Meal runners will deliver meals to vehicles
- Meal Coordinators
- Meal coordinators will maintain the meal list by checking off recipients, validating the number of meals needed, and requesting the meals from the meal assembly team.
- Prayer Teams
- Volunteers will ask recipients of meals if they can pray for and with them before they leave.
- Delivery Team
- The delivery team will deliver meals to a small number of recipients who are unable to pick up their meal(s)
Jarvisburg Church of Christ will be donating the meals and we are asking other participating churches to provide sealed & packaged desserts for individual and family-sized desserts. Family sizes of 4 to 10 will receive whole desserts (i.e.: pie, cake, etc.). Families of 1 to 3 will get the individually wrapped desserts. Please drop off desserts at Jarvisburg Church the day before or the morning of the event.
We hope each church will take the special opportunity of attaching a personal invitation card, a scripture, or something comparable to every dessert donated. These will be distributed with the desserts.
Schedule for the Day:
- 8:00 AM 2:00 PM Cooking and Food Prep and Set up
- 10:00 AM 2:00 PM Meal prep and packaging
- 12:00 PM 3:00 PM Meal Distribution, Deliveries and Prayer
- 3:00 PM 5:00 PM Clean up
Contact Anthony Canter at (614) 517-6071 (Call or Text) with any questions, volunteers and information.