There aren’t many things that are more entertaining than watching your pup play in the waves and sand, but the last thing you want is to have your beach trip end with a vet visit.
Here are a few things you can do to ensure that your dog has a safe, fun, and cool beach visit provided by the Town of Duck:
- Drinking salt water is a bad idea, but many dogs try to lap up the ocean. Be sure to bring plenty of fresh water and a bowl so your dog isn’t tempted to find his own water source.
- Even on days that you might not expect it, the sand can become hot enough to burn your dog’s paws.
- Always test the sand with your bare feet to determine if your dog needs protection for his paws.
- You’re not the only one who needs to be concerned with sunburn. Bring an umbrella or tent that will accommodate you and your dog.
- Running on sand is strenuous, so don’t expect your dog to be able to fetch as long as he can at the dog park.
- When you’re done playing, take time to rinse the salt and sand from your dog’s coat.