Oil in a cast iron pan to blame for Kill Devil Hills house fire Thursday

No one was hurt after a fire that started in the kitchen damaged a home in Kill Devil Hills Thursday morning.

The Kill Devil Hills Fire Department responded to the blaze in the 1800 block of Bay Drive at 11:07 a.m.

Kill Devil Hills fire marshal John Risoldi said the fire was caused by cast iron pan being cleaned with oil; the pan got too hot, causing the oil to catch fire.

The fire caused extensive smoke and fire damage to the structure on the first floor and second floor.

Crews from Colington and Kitty Hawk Fire Departments, along with the Kill Devil Hills Police Department and Dare County EMS were also on scene and assisted in the operation.

Avatar
About Sam Walker 785 Articles
Sam Walker is news director for OBXToday.com, Beach 104, 99.1 The Sound, Big 94.5 and News Talk 92.3 WZPR. Reach him at [email protected]