As of Monday, August 28, class is in session for students within the Dare County School district and much of the surrounding area. The Town of Kill Devil Hills is reminding all motorists to proceed with caution as school buses vacate the roads once again.
All traffic must stop for a stopped bus, unless it is on a road of four or more lanes with a median or center turning lane. In those instances, oncoming traffic does not have to stop because children will not be crossing the road to reach the bus.
Traffic following a bus must always stop with the bus. If in doubt, always stop for a stopped bus.
The Town has also provided the following tips to take into consideration before your tires even hit the pavement:
- Pay close attention to the posted speed limits in school zones.
- Slow down and be especially alert in neighborhoods and school zones.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways slowly and carefully.
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Put down your phone and don’t talk or text while driving.
- Obey school zone speed limits and follow your school’s drop-off procedure.