The National Park Service’s Interior Region 2 recently approved a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for the General Management Plan Amendment and Environmental Assessment (EA) for Wright Brothers National Memorial.
A public review and comment period helped guide the development of the amendment to the 1997 General Management Plan. The approved amendment includes the following actions:
- Redesign the visitor center parking area;
- Create new trails and a multi-use path;
- Add new benches, shade structures, and interpretive waysides through the park;
- Construct a new sheltered open-air interpretive/educational pavilion;
- Conduct vegetation thinning and screening to improve views throughout the park;
- Install recreational vehicle sites for park staff, volunteers or administrative use;
- Repurpose the partner facility to provide adequate administration space; and
- Continue plans to partner with the town of Kill Devil Hills.
Copies of the EA and the FONSI can be found on the NPS Planning, Environment, and Public Comment (PEPC) website at: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/wrbr.