Registration is opening for the OBX U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary “Boat America” boating safety course in June and July.
Choose either the 8 hour In Person class on June 26, 2021 or four, 90 minute virtual classes starting July 12, 2021.
This course satisfies NC boat operator education requirements and includes the following topics:
- Introduction to Boating – Types of power boats, boating vocabulary, sailboats, paddle boats, powering boats, and engine types.
- Boating Law – Boat registration, regulations, hull identification numbers, required safety equipment, Federal boating law, state boating law, and reporting accidents.
- Safety Equipment – Life jackets, fire extinguishers, sound-producing devices, visual distress signals, anchors, and other safety equipment.
- Safe Operation and Navigation – Buoys and beacons, aids to navigation, navigation rules, docking, and the dangers of alcohol on the water.
- Boating Emergencies – Hypothermia, boating accidents, man overboard, capsizing, emergency radio calls, carbon monoxide dangers, and weather.
- Trailering – Types of trailers, lights, hitches, towing a trailer.
- Sports and Boating – Water-skiing, hunting and hunting gear, PWC operation, and other boating tips.
All classes taught by certified Coast Guard Auxiliary Instructors.
Tuition $20 for 1st family member. $10 for each additional family member. includes textbook and all materials.
One session In Person class on 6/26 at Southern Shores Fire Station from 8 AM to 4 PM 15 S Dogwood Trail. Virtual class conducted via Zoom on the following dates: 7/12, 14, 19, 20 from 7 PM – 8:30 PM
Click to register: http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=054-16-07&category=abs-form