Registration is now open for the final OBX U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary “Boat America” boating safety course of 2023 that will be held on Saturday, December 9 at Manteo Marine (411 US-64 Manteo, NC 27954) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This one-day course satisfies North Carolina boat operator education requirements and includes the following topics:
- Introduction to Boating – Types of boats, engines, boating terms, sailboats, paddle craft, powerboats.
- Boating Law – Boat registration, regulations, hull identification numbers, required safety equipment, Federal boating law, state boating law, and reporting accidents.
- Safety Equipment – Life jackets, fire extinguishers, sound-producing devices, visual distress signals, anchors, and other safety equipment.
- Safe Operation and Navigation – Buoys and beacons, aids to navigation, navigation rules, docking, and the dangers of alcohol on the water.
- Boating Emergencies – Hypothermia, boating accidents, man overboard, capsizing, emergency radio calls, carbon monoxide dangers, and weather.
- Trailering – Types of trailers, lights, hitches, towing a trailer.
- Sports and Boating – Water-skiing, hunting and hunting gear, PWC operation, and other boating tips.
The class will be taught by certified Coast Guard Auxiliary Instructors. Tuition is $40.00 for 1st family member, $30 for each additional family member, and includes all materials.
Visit CGAUXOBX.org, or click the following link to register: https://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=054-16-07&category=abs-form