The 2023 Kill Devil Hills Ocean Rescue crew have done an outstanding job of serving our beaches and keeping beachgoers safe this summer. As the season is winding down and crew members return to school, the staff of lifeguards begins to decrease. For this reason, lifeguard stands have been removed from Eden St., Coral Dr., Baum St., and Lake Dr.
In addition, there are stands that will have a “No Lifeguard on Duty” sign posted on them. These marked stands will vary due to staffing levels and populations at the given beach accesses.
Roving patrols will continue along our beach. If you do not see a lifeguard present and have an emergency dial 911.
- Know your limitations: respect the water and avoid unsafe behaviors.
- Never swim along, swim by a lifeguard and/or have a water watcher present.
- Know how to recognize, avoid, and survive rip currents.
- Swim only in safe areas, free from water hazards.
- Do not dive into shallow or unclear water; enter feet first.
- Know how to call for help.
For more beach safety tips, visit: lovethebeachrespecttheocean.com