HomeToGo, the marketplace with the world’s largest selection of vacation rentals, today released its 2023 Spring/Summer TravelTrends, revealing which trends are heating up and how travelers are planning to cure their wanderlust.
This year, HomeToGo is seeing an increase in the number of travelers looking beyond their conventional trips and planning more and longer off-season stays in under-the-radar destinations.
“In 2023, the international demand kickstarted last summer continues to soar, with newly sparked interest from travelers to seek out new experiences and explore destinations in lesser-known parts of the world,” says Caroline Burns, HomeToGo Director of Public Relations. “Travelers are being more flexible with their dates for spring and summer ‘23, scouting more month-long stays, and planning trips in the off-season. We’re also seeing vacationers taking inspiration from their favorite movies and TV shows, and looking to turn their on-screen dreams into a travel reality. After last year’s rush to get out and go abroad, it’s incredible to see this enthusiasm for international travel continue with more emphasis on planning their adventures abroad and trailblazing unique experiences!”
Based on an analysis of HomeToGo traveler search patterns, the key trends and developments for the upcoming spring and summer seasons include:
- Demand for Spring Travel Blossoms: During what is typically a quieter season for travel, HomeToGo has seen a +14% annual increase in the search demand for spring season stays between March and June.
- Film-spiration Travel: After a big year for blockbuster films and TV series, there has been a significant jump in year-over-year search demand from travelers wanting to visit the destinations they have seen on screen. These destinations include those showcased in the second season of The White Lotus (Sicily +175% and Taormina +89% YoY in searches) as well as House of the Dragon filming locations in Trujillo, Spain (+86%) and Monsanto, Portugal (+109%), and Top Gun: Maverick (San Diego +89% and South Lake Tahoe +94%).
- Albania Becomes Europe’s Top Trending Country for Summer Travel: The number of travelers searching for summer vacation accommodation in Albania has doubled in the past year (+105% YoY in searches). Specifically, the areas of Saranda (+124%), Ksamil (+94%), Dhërmi (+75%) are seeing the biggest spikes in search demand amongst high season travelers. Being located on the Adriatic coast, this destination promises warm weather combined with affordable prices.
- Increase in Long-Stay Holidays: More U.S. travelers appear to plan on taking advantage of flexible remote work policies and digital nomad visas this summer. The number of U.S. travelers searching for 30+ day stays this summer has increased by +28% compared to last year.
- Surging Interest in the Asia Pacific Region: In the last six months, many countries in the Asia Pacific region have relaxed their COVID-19 entry requirements for travelers visiting from abroad. As a result, HomeToGo sees compelling increases in the demand for summer stays in countries across the Asia Pacific region, including Singapore (+117% YoY in searches), Malaysia (+106%), Philippines (+71%), and Vietnam (+53%).
Trending Summer Spots for 2023, Based on U.S. Travelers:
American travelers are looking to make a splash this summer; beach destinations and lakes continue to be among the most sought-after destinations on HomeToGo. |
This includes Avon, North Carolina along the Outer Banks which has seen a 274% increase since the 2022 travel season.
|Destination||County||Summer Search Demand vs. 2022|
|Topsail Beach, NC||United States||+543%|
|Keuka Lake, NY||United States||+397%|
|Avon, NC||United States||+274%|
|Sandbridge, VA||United States||+273%|
|Brewster, MA||United States||+226%|
|Sussex County, DE||United States||+175%|
|Sea Isle City, NJ||United States||+154%|