Dare schools suspends meal service until Thursday, pick-ups only at three schools

[photo courtesy Dare County Schools]

Due to the rise in the number of cases of COVID-19 reported in Dare County, the county’s school system has announced significant changes to their meal services starting this week.

Dare County Schools Superintendent John Farrelly said in an email Sunday that meal services will be suspended until Thursday, and that deliveries to sites throughout the county will have to end for the safety of workers, students and their families.

Meals will only be available for pick-up at First Flight Elementary, Manteo Elementary and Cape Hatteras Elementary. Farrelly said over 9,000 meals have been served so far, with demand increasing each week.

More information from Superintendent Farrelly:

In light of the most recent report of the sixth COVID-19 positive case in Dare, we will be implementing changes to the operation and schedule of the meal program to reduce the potential risk of exposure to our staff and families. In order to prepare for these changes, the meal program will be temporarily suspended until Thursday, April 9th.

Beginning Thursday, April 9 buses will no longer deliver to community sites. Meals will be available for pick up from 12:00 pm until 1:00 pm at the three designated school sites: Cape Hatteras Elementary, First Flight Elementary, and Manteo Elementary. Multiple pick up stations will be set up in front of Cape Hatteras and Manteo Elementary Schools. First Flight Elementary School pick up stations will be located in the bus parking lot on the west side of the building (between FFES and FFMS).

“Grab and Go” no-contact procedures will be in place at these locations Tuesday and Thursday of each week.

Meals will be packaged to cover breakfast and lunch over multiple days. Thursday’s meal pick up will provide lunch for that day, plus breakfast and lunch for Friday and Monday, and breakfast for Tuesday the following week. Tuesday’s meal pick up will include lunch for that day plus, breakfast and lunch for Wednesday and breakfast for Thursday.

It is our goal to continue to offer the meal program throughout the time schools remain closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak and will do so as long as it is safe to do so.

About Sam Walker 1266 Articles
Sam Walker is news director for OBXToday.com, Beach 104, 99.1 The Sound, Big 94.5 WCMS and Z 92.3. Reach him at swalker3@jammediallc.com