The 2020 beach parking permits for Currituck County are now available for residents, non-resident property owners, and visitors.
Applications may be obtained at the Moyock Welcome Center, Corolla Visitors Center, or online at parkingonthebeach.com. Permits can be picked up at the Moyock or Corolla locations.
For more information, contact the Travel and Tourism Departments at 252-435-2947.
Beach goers who wish to park on Currituck County’s 4-wheel drive beach during the summer are required to have a county-issued beach parking permit displayed on their motor vehicle.
The permit system will be effective from the Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day. All vehicles that wish to park on the 4×4 beaches MUST purchase and obtain a Currituck County Beach Parking Permit.
Key provisions in the policy include:
- County residents and property owners may receive two free parking permits for each property they own by providing proof of residency/ownership within Currituck County.
- Persons owning on the off road area north of the North Beach Access Ramp whose property contains a house may obtain two additional permits at no fee.
- All others must pay a fee for a beach parking permit. These permits will be available for purchase from the Tourism Department on a 10-Day temporary or seasonal basis.
- Fees will be $50 for a 10-day parking pass (valid for 10 consecutive days) and $150 for a seasonal pass.
Remember when driving on the beach:
- Speed limit on the beach is 35 mph
- Within 300 feet of any person, the speed limit is 15 mph
- Watch for pedestrians, especially children
- Be alert around the wild horses and other wildlife
- Park vehicles in middle of beach strand
- Watch for lane shifts
- Vehicles are required to use driving lanes adjacent to the dune line between Milepost 14.5 and Milepost 17.
Tire air pressure should be:
- 20 pounds per square inch (PSI) for SUV’s and 1/2 ton 4X4
- 35 pounds per square inches (PSI) for 3/4 ton 4X4
- Air up pressure stations are located at the Corolla Historic Park.