The Currituck County Board of Commissioners approved on Monday a number of safety actions intended to reduce the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 coronavirus for citizens and county employees.
The health and well-being of the county’s citizens and staff is paramount, the county said in a press release Monday night.
These items are effective March 17, 2020:
- The Currituck Senior Center, Knotts Island Senior Center, and Powell’s Point Senior Center are closed for 30 days. The Senior Center will continue to provide the home-delivered meal service on a regular schedule.
- The Barco Library, Corolla Library, and Moyock Library are closed to the general public for 30 days.
- The Moyock Welcome Center and Corolla Visitors Center are closed to the general public for 30 days.
- Access to all other county facilities will be permitted by appointment only. Citizens should contact staff to set an appointment, which will be conducted in a designated space that will be cleaned prior to and after each use.
- All county-sponsored events in the next 30 days are canceled.
- All events held on county property in the next 30 days are canceled.
- All county advisory board meetings in the next 30 days are canceled.
- The Board of Commissioners will meet only once per month until further notice. The next Board meeting will be held on April 20, 2020.
Citizens are required to use online resources to conduct county business if feasible. Available online features include permit applications, Register of Deed certificates, ATV Permits, Beach Parking Permits and bill pay. The Citizen Self Service application can be accessed at https://currituck.munisselfservice.com/citizens/default.aspx.
Additional safety measures may be taken in the near future if the need arises. The Board of Commissioners, County Manager, and Emergency Management remain in regular consultation with Albemarle Regional Health Services and the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services on best practices for the workplace and public facilities.
County employees will continue to report to work on a regular schedule and be available to field citizen phone calls.
A list of cancellations and closures is being maintained on the county website at https://co.currituck.nc.us/news/coronavirus-information-for-nc/. Updates to the status of county facilities and workforce will be made as information becomes available.