Community rallies for victims of house fires in Wanchese, Kitty Hawk

Fire destroyed a well-known Wanchese resident's home last week. [Provided photo]

The community has started fundraisers for two local residents who recently lost their homes in fires — one last week in Wanchese and one Monday morning in Kitty Hawk.

A chef at John’s Drive-In in Kitty Hawk and his family escaped safely when their home caught fire around 3 a.m. Monday. The fire went to a second alarm, with crews on scene for several hours.

Fire gutted a home in Kitty Hawk on Monday, May 3, 2021. [Photo courtesy Southern Shores Fire Department]
John’s Drive-In posted a GoFundMe for the family on Facebook asking people to help if they can.

“‘Woody’and his family are in our prayers!” the restaurant said.

And after a fire last week destroyed a Wanchese resident’s home, White’s Shopping Center rallied to help get her back on her feet.

The fire April 28 in Wanchese was sparked by a faulty electrical outlet and destroyed Lana Daniels Beacham’s home. She was able to escape unharmed and call 911.

Several area businesses are collecting donations for Beacham, including the White’s Shopping Center, Outland Seafood and Fresh Catch Seafood & Vacuum Sealing in Wanchese.

There’s also a GoFund if you would like to donate online.

“I know how much our community always comes together in a time of need -THIS is what makes Mann’s Harbor and our surrounding communities an awesome place to live! Please consider helping,” the business wrote in a Facebook post.

About Kari Pugh 980 Articles
Kari Pugh is digital director for OBXToday.com, Beach 104, 99.1 The Sound, 94.5 WCMS and News Talk 92.3 WZPR. Reach her at kpugh@jammediallc.com