Charcoal emptied into a trash can blamed for early morning deck fire in Kill Devil Hills

An early morning deck fire Monday in Kill Devil Hills is being blamed on charcoal dumped into a trash can.

Firefighters from Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk and Colington were dispatched to the 400 block of Cameron Street at 4:25 a.m. The Kill Devil Hills Police Department and Dare County EMS also responded to the scene.

A neighbor across the street called 911 to report the fire, according to a news release. Due to their quick reaction seeing the fire, it was contained to the deck and the house was not damaged and no one was hurt.

Kill Devil Hills Fire Marshal John Risoldi determined the cause of the fire was due to improper disposal of charcoal debris that was put into a combustible container and left on the deck.

About Sam Walker 1512 Articles
Sam Walker was news director for, Beach 104, 99.1 The Sound, Big 94.5 WCMS and Z 92.3 from August 2011 to March 2022.