According to a statement from the American Red Cross, January is a challenging month with the end of the holidays and the start of a new year. During the month, however, 101 generous donors potentially saved 297 lives.
There were 15 first time donors and most said it was the blood drive publicity that motivated them to make their first blood donation. Many will become life-time donors, each potentially saving 18 lives every year.
Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood; 29,000 donations are needed every day to sustain the blood supply. You can help save lives by making a blood donation at a Red Cross Blood Drive in February.
“The need for blood is constant”, said Frank Spruill, Red Cross Blood Donor Ambassador. “Lifesaving care starts with one person making a generous donation; a single donation can save up to 3 lives.”
If you are healthy and feeling well, schedule an appointment to donate blood by visiting RedCrossBlood.org or calling 800-RED-CROSS (800-733-2767). The actual donation takes about 10 – 12 minutes, and the entire process from arrival to departure is about one hour.
All donors will receive a $10 Amazon gift card by email. Donors will also be automatically entered in a national drawing for a chance to win a trip for two to Florida, including round-trip airfare and a three-night stay at the Wyndham Grand Clearwater Beach.
Red Cross February Blood Drives
- FEBRUARY 1
- Our Lady of the Seas, Buxton – 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- FEBRUARY 7
- Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, Kitty Hawk – 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- FEBRUARY 8
- Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, Kitty Hawk – 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- FEBRUARY 10
- Virginia S. Tillett Community Center, Manteo – 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- FEBRUARY 14
- Pitts Center, Town of Southern Shores – 09:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- FEBRUARY 28
- Cape Hatteras Secondary School, Buxton – 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.